Friday, October 31, 2008

3rd Time is NOT a Charm

Last night I went out with a guy named John that I have not seen in a year. We went on 2 dates last year but never went on a 3rd date. John is in his early 40s (he lied on his dating profile and put 39). He owns a business and has never been married. He's around 5'9, brown hair, brown eyes, soft spoken, and a bit peculiar.

He contacted me recently by email and asked why we never went on a 3rd date. I replied and told him that he rarely called me and only sent texts which was a turn off and also that he got too physical way too fast. He asked if he could have the opportunity to take me out again. I told him yes. He started calling me over the last 2 weeks. We have had some decent communication. Things were way better than they were before. I noticed some areas where we were not compatible. One being that he is into conspiracy theories. He is not an extremist but the fact that he does not vote because he does not want the government tracking his information alarms me. I have a couple of minor conspiracy theories myself but I do not live my life around it. My outlook on life is way different than his. He seems more negative and like a non-participating citizen which drives me crazy.

I met him at an expensive asian restaurant. I walked in and saw him and immediately knew why I did not go on a 3rd date. I had that same repulsed feeling again. I looked around the room and noticed the other couples snuggled next to each other in tables and booths. For a moment I envisioned myself one day sitting there with someone else. The men were dressed in white crisp shirts with and without ties. My date was wearing jeans and an old polo like shirt in this nice fancy place. What a turn off. He knew the style of the restaurant.

I sat down and tried to look at him but had a hard time. I realized at that moment that I was so not attracted to him physically. Last year I was dealing with the pain of not seeing Austin anymore and John was one of the guys that I dated right after him. John is confusing to look at. He seems awkward but then he may give a certain facial expression that makes him look cute. His face seems a bit rough and what turns me off the most are his ears. His ears do not stick out at all. They are too big for his head. I normally do not notice much physically about someone because it is so much more than that for me. But I think that his big ears, rough face, and awkwardness, combined with the fact that he lied about his age, is into conspiracy theories, loves horror films, watches serial killer documentaries, and asked me what my foot size is because he likes big feet, just sent me through the roof. The last thing I want is to be the story line for the next Hannibal Lecter movie.

He began to look cuter as I drank my Martini. The food was delicious. It was so pretty that I did not want to eat it. It was time for the bill and I debated on whether I should pay my half because I was not into him. I decided that he should pay because he invited me. He walked me out to my car and I sensed that he was expecting a kiss because we did so before on dates 1 and 2. I could not bring myself to do it. I leaned in to give him a hug. He made some kind of ummmm sound which sent the bad chills up my spine and he tried to kiss me and I went for the hug and patted him on the back like a friend. I felt awful for rejecting him but I could not help it. There is no way that I could go there with him. We said bye and he walked away and I shouted for him to call me even though I did not mean it. I know he sensed it. Later I texted him and thanked him for the dinner and company. I never heard back.

4 comments:

bobbyboy said...

Wow, this is some story!

Having a good idea about yourself and what you want in life is the most important thing. I can see that you have an open mind and are willing to give things a chance.

"But I think that his big ears, rough face, and awkwardness, combined with the fact that he lied about his age, is into conspiracy theories, loves horror films, watches serial killer documentaries, and asked me what my foot size is because he likes big feet, just sent me through the roof. The last thing I want is to be the story line for the next Hannibal Lecter movie."

I have to admit, this made my day lol

Thirtysomething said...

OMG- i dont even know what to say. I like one of the things he listed, the serial killer docs, b/c i wanted to be in forensics to help find killers for family's but... big feet? he likes big feet.. holy hell! RUN - wait i have big feet.....????!!! eeek

Izzy said...

Sounds like the reasons my mom won't vote! LOL

Miss Heather Leigh said...

Ugh I know how that awkwardness goes when it comes to having to reject someone. Sheesh! Hopefully you continue to not hear back!!